Cape Town Winter

Cape Town Winter
Table Mountain

Cape Town Winter

Cape Town Winter
Table Mountain / Robben Island

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The Good Food and Wine Show

I just love winter, it is the season where you can spoil yourself and indulge into the simple pleasures of food to warm up your senses. This said there was however nothing plain about this year’s food and wine show that was recently held at the Cape Town International Convention Centre. For me it was the perfect evening to be “selfish” and to just go out there without any inhibitions. Nothing was going to spoil my evening not even my own consciousness so I blocked out words such as fat, calories, sugar and moderation from my thoughts.

Needless to say I came prepared with a hungry stomach that embarrassed me the last 3 hours with a growl so loud it sounded like a hungry continent.

Ready to stuff my face and pack my stomach to a balloon, I entered. It was heaven, stalls all over and food, glorious food. I think like most people my plan was to start with the best food while the palate is still sharp to enjoy every bite and slowly work my way to the less desirable stuff. With my stomach so hungry and stalls looking tempting with food I was lost as to where I am going to start first.

With the aid of my friends I got pulled here and there; thanks for that otherwise I would have still been standing there by the entrance gaping.

I tasted everything from chocolates to puff pastry. The best for me was the chocolate covered marshmallows that you could dip yourself into a creamy chocolate fountain. Besides the fact that every dish imaginable was there to test they could next time to my opinion cut down on the dip and smear tastings. I mean you can just have so much “pesto” and then it should be vinito.

For me no evening will be a success without some vino. I was overjoyed when I spotted the wine stalls in the distance. Definitely up my ally since I love good wine, especially Shiraz and Pinotage; did I mention to you that I blocked out all thought of moderation?

With me being on cloud nine I can honestly say that the evening was magical and that the variety was heaven. That said I will definitely be back next year!

No comments: